LANARKSHIRE CONSTABULARY WAR MEMORIAL

The following information on the Lanarkshire Constabulary War Memorial was sent to Historic Hamilton by George Barnsley who is the chair of the Lancashire Police History Society.  
LANARKSHIRE CONSTABULARY WAR MEMORIAL
On Tuesday the 30th of December 1919, the Lanarkshire Constabulary War Memorial was unveiled in the front yard of Police Headquarters in Beckford Street, Hamilton.
The memorial took the form of a Celtic Cross on a Pedestal of Overtown Granite measuring 15 feet in height. The sculptor was Mr. James Buchanan of Station Road, Carluke and Keith Street, Hamilton.
On one side it bears the inscription "Lanarkshire Constabulary the Great War 1914 to 1918 in Memory of the Fallen Comrades" along with the names of the 24 Police Constables who had lost their lives in that War.
The unveiling ceremony was performed by Lord Newlands, Lord Lieutenant of the County. He was accompanied by Sir Robert King Stewart, Convenor of the County, Sheriff Principle Mackenzie, Sir T.F. Wilson of Glasgow, Colonel Stevenson, Chief Constable of the City of Glasgow Police and the Reverend John L. Tulloch.
Chief Constable Despard and a large number of officers from the Constabulary were on parade for the ceremony.
Lord Newlands said that the war record of Lanarkshire Constabulary was a particularly magnificent one. Their casualties amounted to over 50%.
Chief Constable Despard read the names of all the officers that had fallen, whilst the Lanarkshire Constabulary officers, from each of the divisions of the force stood to attention.
Lanarkshire Constabulary Pipe band played a Lament following the dedication ceremony which was performed by the Reverend Tulloch. The pipers were:
• Sergeant John Rogerson
• Constable William McIntosh
• Constable John Gray
• Constable John McPhedran
• Constable Allan McPhedran
• Constable Archibald Johnstone
• Constable Adam Redpath and
• Constable Robert Morrison
WW2
The advent of WW2 brought further tragedy to the force with 10 police officers of Lanarkshire Constabulary killed during the conflict. To mark their sacrifice, the opposite side of the memorial now bears the inscription, " 1939 to 1945 in Memory of Fallen Comrades" displaying the names of Constables who fell in the Conflict. In 1953 the memorial was re-dedicated in a ceremony attended by the police and local dignitaries.
Unfortunately, over the years the memorial was not very well looked after and became concealed and more or less forgotten behind a large hedge.
RENOVATION
In 2008 a member of the Retired Police Officers Association (Scotland) (RPOAS), Lanarkshire Branch, informed the Branch Committee of the discovery of the Memorial in what is now Car Park No 8, of Hamilton Sheriff Court. In reporting the find the Committee learned that the names of the memorial had faded and the Branch took action to have the War Memorial refurbished and the names restored.
The matter of the state of the Memorial was raised with the Sheriff Clerk's Office at Hamilton resulting in it being renovated in time for the Armistice Service on Sunday 8th November 2009 at which time there was a service of re-dedication. 
The Service was conducted by the Police Chaplain in the presence of a contingent of Strathclyde Police Officers, members of the British Legion (Scotland) and the Salvation Army, along with members of the Sheriff Court and of course the RPOAS Lanarkshire Branch Committee.
Additional were provided by the Strathclyde Police Benevolent Fund to aid the further restoration to former glory to the names of Lanarkshire Constabulary's ‘No Longer’ Forgotten Heroes.
Since 2009 a service has been held at the memorial, on Armistice Day, attended by serving and retired police officers, families, sheriff court staff, Lord Lieutenant, Sheriff Principle, British Legion and others to remember the fallen.

The following information on the Lanarkshire Constabulary War Memorial was sent to Historic Hamilton by George Barnsley who is the chair of the Lancashire Police History Society.
LANARKSHIRE CONSTABULARY WAR MEMORIAL
On Tuesday the 30th of December 1919, the Lanarkshire Constabulary War Memorial was unveiled in the front yard of Police Headquarters in Beckford Street, Hamilton.
The memorial took the form of a Celtic Cross on a Pedestal of Overtown Granite measuring 15 feet in height. The sculptor was Mr. James Buchanan of Station Road, Carluke and Keith Street, Hamilton
On one side it bears the inscription “Lanarkshire Constabulary the Great War 1914 to 1918 in Memory of the Fallen Comrades” along with the names of the 24 Police Constables who had lost their lives in that War.
The unveiling ceremony was performed by Lord Newlands, Lord Lieutenant of the County. He was accompanied by Sir Robert King Stewart, Convenor of the County, Sheriff Principle Mackenzie, Sir T.F. Wilson of Glasgow, Colonel Stevenson, Chief Constable of the City of Glasgow Police and the Reverend John L. Tulloch.
Chief Constable Despard and a large number of officers from the Constabulary were on parade for the ceremony.
Lord Newlands said that the war record of Lanarkshire Constabulary was a particularly magnificent one. Their casualties amounted to over 50%.
Chief Constable Despard read the names of all the officers that had fallen, whilst the Lanarkshire Constabulary officers, from each of the divisions of the force stood to attention.
Lanarkshire Constabulary Pipe band played a Lament following the dedication ceremony which was performed by the Reverend Tulloch. The pipers were:
• Sergeant John Rogerson
• Constable William McIntosh
• Constable John Gray
• Constable John McPhedran
• Constable Allan McPhedran
• Constable Archibald Johnstone
• Constable Adam Redpath and
• Constable Robert Morrison
WW2
The advent of WW2 brought further tragedy to the force with 10 police officers of Lanarkshire Constabulary killed during the conflict. To mark their sacrifice, the opposite side of the memorial now bears the inscription, ” 1939 to 1945 in Memory of Fallen Comrades” displaying the names of Constables who fell in the Conflict. In 1953 the memorial was re-dedicated in a ceremony attended by the police and local dignitaries.
Unfortunately, over the years the memorial was not very well looked after and became concealed and more or less forgotten behind a large hedge.
RENOVATION
In 2008 a member of the Retired Police Officers Association (Scotland) (RPOAS), Lanarkshire Branch, informed the Branch Committee of the discovery of the Memorial in what is now Car Park No 8, of Hamilton Sheriff Court. In reporting the find the Committee learned that the names of the memorial had faded and the Branch took action to have the War Memorial refurbished and the names restored.
The matter of the state of the Memorial was raised with the Sheriff Clerk’s Office at Hamilton resulting in it being renovated in time for the Armistice Service on Sunday 8th November 2009 at which time there was a service of re-dedication.
The Service was conducted by the Police Chaplain in the presence of a contingent of Strathclyde Police Officers, members of the British Legion (Scotland) and the Salvation Army, along with members of the Sheriff Court and of course the RPOAS Lanarkshire Branch Committee.
Additional were provided by the Strathclyde Police Benevolent Fund to aid the further restoration to former glory to the names of Lanarkshire Constabulary’s ‘No Longer’ Forgotten Heroes.
Since 2009 a service has been held at the memorial, on Armistice Day, attended by serving and retired police officers, families, sheriff court staff, Lord Lieutenant, Sheriff Principle, British Legion and others to remember the fallen.

The following information on the Lanarkshire Constabulary War Memorial was sent to Historic Hamilton by George Barnsley who is the chair of the Lancashire Police History Society.
LANARKSHIRE CONSTABULARY WAR MEMORIAL
On Tuesday the 30th of December 1919, the Lanarkshire Constabulary War Memorial was unveiled in the front yard of Police Headquarters in Beckford Street, Hamilton.
The memorial took the form of a Celtic Cross on a Pedestal of Overtown Granite measuring 15 feet in height. The sculptor was Mr. James Buchanan of Station Road, Carluke and Keith Street, Hamilton
On one side it bears the inscription “Lanarkshire Constabulary the Great War 1914 to 1918 in Memory of the Fallen Comrades” along with the names of the 24 Police Constables who had lost their lives in that War.
The unveiling ceremony was performed by Lord Newlands, Lord Lieutenant of the County. He was accompanied by Sir Robert King Stewart, Convenor of the County, Sheriff Principle Mackenzie, Sir T.F. Wilson of Glasgow, Colonel Stevenson, Chief Constable of the City of Glasgow Police and the Reverend John L. Tulloch.
Chief Constable Despard and a large number of officers from the Constabulary were on parade for the ceremony.
Lord Newlands said that the war record of Lanarkshire Constabulary was a particularly magnificent one. Their casualties amounted to over 50%.
Chief Constable Despard read the names of all the officers that had fallen, whilst the Lanarkshire Constabulary officers, from each of the divisions of the force stood to attention.
Lanarkshire Constabulary Pipe band played a Lament following the dedication ceremony which was performed by the Reverend Tulloch. The pipers were:
• Sergeant John Rogerson
• Constable William McIntosh
• Constable John Gray
• Constable John McPhedran
• Constable Allan McPhedran
• Constable Archibald Johnstone
• Constable Adam Redpath and
• Constable Robert Morrison
WW2
The advent of WW2 brought further tragedy to the force with 10 police officers of Lanarkshire Constabulary killed during the conflict. To mark their sacrifice, the opposite side of the memorial now bears the inscription, ” 1939 to 1945 in Memory of Fallen Comrades” displaying the names of Constables who fell in the Conflict. In 1953 the memorial was re-dedicated in a ceremony attended by the police and local dignitaries.
Unfortunately, over the years the memorial was not very well looked after and became concealed and more or less forgotten behind a large hedge.
RENOVATION
In 2008 a member of the Retired Police Officers Association (Scotland) (RPOAS), Lanarkshire Branch, informed the Branch Committee of the discovery of the Memorial in what is now Car Park No 8, of Hamilton Sheriff Court. In reporting the find the Committee learned that the names of the memorial had faded and the Branch took action to have the War Memorial refurbished and the names restored.
The matter of the state of the Memorial was raised with the Sheriff Clerk’s Office at Hamilton resulting in it being renovated in time for the Armistice Service on Sunday 8th November 2009 at which time there was a service of re-dedication.
The Service was conducted by the Police Chaplain in the presence of a contingent of Strathclyde Police Officers, members of the British Legion (Scotland) and the Salvation Army, along with members of the Sheriff Court and of course the RPOAS Lanarkshire Branch Committee.
Additional were provided by the Strathclyde Police Benevolent Fund to aid the further restoration to former glory to the names of Lanarkshire Constabulary’s ‘No Longer’ Forgotten Heroes.
Since 2009 a service has been held at the memorial, on Armistice Day, attended by serving and retired police officers, families, sheriff court staff, Lord Lieutenant, Sheriff Principle, British Legion and others to remember the fallen.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s