Mcarthur’s Woollen Mill on Woodside Walk.

McAurthurs.
Mcarthur’s Woollen Mill. 

McArthurs Woolen Mill was located at 24 Woodside Walk and it was a rough rectangular 3-storeye’d factory building dating from 1921, it was a large imposing building that looked out of place in the street.

It had a comprising reinforced-concrete frame with a flat roof and the facade, which had multi-pane metal-framed windows, it was faced with ashlar and bull-faced snecked rubble, as was the SE-facing side wall, which also had a 1921 date-plaque.

McAurthurs1
Mcarthur’s Accounts Office. 

The side and rear walls were made of red brick and the building started life an extension to the former Woodlands Bakery for Messrs Samuel Gilchrist Ltd.

The Tartan Factory was closed by 2001 and was shortly demolished after. There are now new flats that occupy the land where the building stood.

McAurthurs2
The retirement flats at the former site of the McAurthurs factory.